Sunday, July 18, 2010

Prince Sing-A-Long

Awesome. That's all I can say about the Prince Sing-A-Long.

Not true...I can say so much more.

So Nyla and I arrive at the Ritz downtown and the line is outside the door and down the street. We pick up our tickets and stand in line with the rest of the women and gay men who make up the crowd. As packed as it was, we ended up getting pretty good seats and were joined by a nice fellow named Tom who had come by himself (apparently he just moved from Michigan and hadn't met any new friends who also happened to be Prince fans yet). The host of the show hops up on stage for a brief intro to the event and is wearing a lovely purple suit and a fake Prince wig. He warns us that it is required that we drink, sing and dance and anyone being quiet will be asked to leave.
And so it begins.....a collection of Prince videos accompanied by lyrics so we can all pretend we know all the words. Every once in awhile the music is interrupted so that props can be passed out to the audience (ie purple balloons to blow up and throw around the theater, bubbles to accompany one of the videos and purple streamers to throw around to act as 'purple rain'). It was a grand ol' time. I was even briefly entertained when I realized I could torment the people in front of me by snatching balloons out of the air and popping them....it wasn't the popping sound that was annoying to them though. The people in front of us were just spending entirely way to much time and effort playing with balloons and were completely ignoring Prince. As we were at the Prince sing-a-long I decided that the balloons were not a priority and thus I entered into a brief war with the lame balloon people. My heeled boots proved to be excellent balloon poppers and the people seemed generally put out every time I grabbed a balloon from out of the air near them. It was marvelous.

Anyways, the night ended epically with Purple Rain. What more needs to be said??

No comments:

Post a Comment